Tuesday, December 25, 2007

What about the knee?

Thursday 18 April

I watched When Harry met Sally last night, essentially a collection of double headers based on the interaction of males and females and why our differences are something to treasure and leave a mystery. 'How to make lovers of two who are friends'. It was brilliantly written at times with great performances by Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. They never dip into the star crossed lovers territory and go through what (the writer) Nora Ephron describes as a Jewish Romantic narrative - a style pioneered by Woody Allen where the obstacles faced by the male protagonist are all internal neuroses rather than external obstacles (Christian Romantic narrative). Interesting stuff.

Today I saw Bruce Twaddle who said things were looking good, walking next week around home which is cool and should make life much easier. The rest of today I spend on my butt again. A hopefully small synopsis of what I watched. Stargate: The pilot for Stargate stands incredibly well the test of time. Normally there is cringe in revisiting past flames and seeing now how weak they are where once they burned brightly. Not so with SG1 – sure there's some clunky dialogue (such as the point where Sam Carter references 'MacGyver') and the actors seem a little too ofay with the realities their world presents to them, but on the whole the way it was shot, the direction, the scale of what they set up. Cool.

Election: Matthew Brodderick has never been an actor I liked, nor has Reece Witherspoon. I'm not sure whether this came before or after American Beauty but it treads much the same territory albeit in a much lighter fashion. The stylistic choices at moments used to represent the characters psychological states was jarring in places and funny in others. All up it was okay.

Coronation Street: So I didn't really watch it, Mum had it on while I write this. It's got to be said though, the creators of that programme are no slouches. As fun as it is to deride texts of that kind, what they do is talented and pretty damn smart.

I'm planning on watching more, maybe another movie, or possibly the first episode of Stargate. Maybe if I'm not a lazy ass I'll write again tomorrow. To finish for today my knee has three holes, three 'pluses' (+), one incision and one large numb patch. In all it’s a small price to pay along with a touchy hamstring to getting back to sports health in the future. Many thanks to Mum for being always there and doing everything for me with no second thought.


PS happy holidays everyone :)

No comments: